I. Book chapters
- Adelina-Carmen Ianculescu. Cătălina-Andreea Stanciu. Chap. 8. Nanosized BaTiO3-based systems. pp. 153-201. in „Magnetic. Ferroelectric. and Multiferroic Metal Oxides”, Elsevier, 2018, Ed. Biljana Stoianović, Ghenadii Korotcenkov, ISBN: 978-0-12-811180-2.
- Adelina-Carmen Ianculescu, Cătălina-Andreea Stanciu, Bodgan Ştefan Vasile, Lucian Trupină, Roxana Truşcă, Marin Cernea, Lucian Pintilie, Adrian Nicoară, Preparation and Characterization of Cerium-Doped BaTiO3 Nanotubes Structures, 15th Conference & Exhibition of the European Ceramic Society, ECerS XV, July 9 – 13, 2017 Budapest, Hungary – oral presentation.
- Adelina Ianculescu, Multifunctional Perovskite Oxides – The Key Of Electroceramics. 20th Romanian International Conference on Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Poiana Braşov, România, September, 6 – 9, 2017 – plenary lecture.
- A. C. Ianculescu, C. A. Stanciu, L. Trupină, B. S. Vasile, R. Truşcă, M. Cernea, A. I. Nicoară, “Ce3+-doped BaTiO3 1D-nanostructures prepared by colloidal chemistry”. 7th International Congress on Ceramics (ICC7 2018), June 17 – 21, Foz de Iguaçú, Brazilia – oral presentation.
- C. A. Stanciu. R. Truşcă. I. Pintilie. M. Cernea. B. S. Vasile. A. C. Ianculescu. “Cerium-modified barium titanate ceramics prepared by the sol-gel method”. 7th International Congress on Ceramics (ICC7 2018), June 17 – 21, Foz de Iguaçú, Brazilia – oral presentation.
- V.-A. Surdu, V. Kuncser, P. Ganea, A. C. Ianculescu, “Multiferroic properties of Eu-substituted BiFeO3 ceramics”, 7th International Congress on Ceramics (ICC7 2018), June 17 – 21, Foz de Iguaçú, Brazilia – oral presentation.
- V.-A. Surdu, C. Stanciu, M. Crişan, N. Drăgan, D. Crişan, L. Mitoşeriu, L. Curecheriu, B. Vasile, A. Ianculescu, “Preparation and characteristics of sol-gel (Ba.La)TiO3 powders and related ceramics”, 7th International Congress on Ceramics (ICC7 2018), June 17 – 21, Foz de Iguaçú, Brazilia – poster presentation.
- Adelina C. Ianculescu, Cătălina A. Stanciu, Roxana Truşcă, Bodgan S. Vasile, Adrian I. Nicoară, Lucian Trupină, Marin Cernea, “Preparation and characterization of 1D Ce3+-doped BaTiO3 nanostructures”, Electroceramics XVI, July 9th – 12th, 2018, Hasselt, Belgium – oral presentation.
- Vasile Adrian Surdu, Paul Ganea, Victor Kuncser, Adelina – Carmen Ianculescu, “Composition-property correlation in Eu-substituted BiFeO3 Spark Plasma Sintered ceramics”, Electroceramics XVI, July 9th – 12th, 2018. Hasselt. Belgium – oral presentation.
- Adelina Ianculescu, Ioana Pintilie, Cătălina Stanciu, Adrian Surdu, Lucian Pintilie, Cristina Ciomaga, Lavinia Curecheriu, Liliana Mitoseriu, Roxana Truşcă, “Grain size-dependence of functional properties in some BaTiO3-Based Ceramics“, XVI ECerS Conference, June 16 – 20, 2019, Turin, Italy – oral presentation.
- Catalina A. Stanciu, Ioana Pintilie Adrian V. Surdu, Roxana Truşca, Bogdan S. Vasile, Mihai A. Eftimie, Adelina C. Ianculescu, “Composition-dependent of Ce3+-doped BaTiO3 ceramics derived from sol-gel powders and sintered by alternative techniques characteristics”, XVI ECerS Conference, June 16 – 20, 2019, Turin, Italy – poster presentation.
- Adelina Ianculescu, Ioana Pintilie, Catalina Stanciu, Adrian Surdu, Lucian Pintilie, Cristina Ciomaga, Lavinia Curecheriu, Liliana Mitoseriu, Roxana Trusca, Bogdan Vasile, Maria Crisan, “Influence of microstructure on the electrical behavior of some A and B-site substituted BaTiO3 ceramics”, 1 – 5 September 2019, Stockholm, Sweden – oral presentation.
- Vasile-Adrian Surdu, Roxana Trusca, Bogdan Stefan Vasile, Eugenia Vasile,Paul Ganea, Victor Kuncser, Adelina-Carmen Ianculescu, “Characterization of Eu substituted BiFeO3 powders and ceramics prepared by sol-precipitation and sintered by spark plasma sintering”, EUROMAT 2019, 1 – 5 September 2019, Stockholm, Sweden – oral presentation.
- Catalina Stanciu, I. Pintilie, A. Surdu, R. Trusca, B. Vasile, M. Eftimie, A. Ianculescu, “5 mol % Ce3+-doped barium titanate ceramics prepared by the sol-gel method and sintered by alternative techniques”, 1 – 5 September 2019, Stockholm, Sweden – poster presentation.
- Roxana Trusca, Catalina Stanciu, Bogdan Vasile, Adrian Surdu, Marin Cernea, Lucian Trupina, Adelina Ianculescu, Dorel Crisan, “Characteristics of 5 mol% Ce3+-doped barium titanate nanowires prepared by the template-mediated sol–gel method”, 1 – 5 September 2019, Stockholm, Sweden – poster presentation.
III. Papers published or submitted in ISI-quoted journals
1. R. Dumitru, A. Ianculescu, C. Păcurariu, L. Lupa, A. Pop, B. Vasile, A. Surdu. F. Manea. BiFeO3 – synthesis, characterization and its photocatalytic activity towards doxorubicin degradation from water, Ceramics International, 45  (2019), Part B, 2789-2802; DOI:10.1016/j.ceramint.2018.07.298; Elsevier, ISSN: 0272-8842; F.I. = 3.057 zona roşie (Q1)
Pure bismuth ferrite was successfully obtained through the thermolysis of new bismuth ferrioxalate coordination compound. namely BiFe(C2O4)3·3H2O. The synthesized precursor was characterized by chemical analysis, vibrational spectroscopy and thermal analysis. The bismuth ferrite obtained after a heating treatment of the precursor for at 450-800ºC/1h was investigated by X-ray diffraction, SEM, TEM and HRTEM. The obtained pure bismuth ferrite nanoparticles (480ºC) was tested as photocatalyst towards the degradation of doxorubicin (DOX). a well-known anti-cancer drug commonly used for the treatment of various cancer types. which has been detected in hospital effluent water. The comparative results of DOX degradation through photolysis and photocatalysis under UV irradiation showed a great photocatalytic activity of bismuth ferrite towards DOX degradation and mineralization from water. The kinetics aspects were discussed based on the first-order kinetics model that fitted the best the experimental photocatalysis results.
2. C. A. Stanciu, I. Pintilie, A. V. Surdu, R. Truşcă, B. S. Vasile, M. A. Eftimie, A.-C. Ianculescu, Influence of sintering strategy on the characteristics of sol-gel Ba1-xCexTi1-x/4O3 ceramics – submitted to Journal of Advanced Ceramics; Springer; Print ISSN: 2226-4108; Online ISSN: 2227-8508; F.I. = 2,300; zona roşie (Q1)
Single-phase Ce3+-doped BaTiO3 powders described by the nominal formula Ba1-xCexTi1-x/4O3 with x = 0.005 and 0.05 were synthesized by the acetate variant of the sol-gel method. The structural parameters and particle size and morphology are strongly dependent on Ce3+ content. From these powders dense ceramics were prepared by conventional sintering at 1300oC for 2 hours, as well as by spark plasma sintering at 1050oC for 2 min. For the conventionally sintered ceramics, the XRD data, as well as the dielectric and hysteresis measurements reveal that, at room temperature, the specimen with low cerium content (x = 0.005) is in the ferroelectric state, while the samples with significantly higher Ce3+ concentration (x = 0.05) is found in the proximity of the ferroelectric – paraelectric phase transition. The sample with low solute content resulted after spark plasma sintering exhibits insulating behaviour, with significantly higher values of relative permittivity and dielectric losses, over the entire investigated temperature range, relative to the conventionally sintered sample of similar composition. The spark plasma sintered Ce-BaTiO3 specimen with high solute content (x = 0.05) shows a fine-grained microstructure and an almost temperature-independent colossal dielectric constant which originates in a very high interfacial polarization.
3. R. E. Pătru, P. C. Ganea, C.-A. Stanciu, V.-A. Surdu, R. Truşcă, A.-C. Ianculescu, I. Pintilie, L. Pintilie, (Ba,Sr)TiO3 solid solutions sintered from sol-gel derived powders: An insight into the composition and temperature dependent dielectric behavior – submitted to Ceramics International; Elsevier; ISSN: 0272-8842; F.I. = 3.450; zona roşie (Q1)
Single-phase Ba1-xSrxTiO3 (BST) perovskite ceramics with 0.3 x 0.4 were prepared from powders synthesized via sol-gel route. The compositions have the ferroelectric-paraelectric phase transition close to room temperature. At 20 °C the BST ceramics are ferroelectric for 0.3 x 0.35 and paraelectric for x = 0.375 and x = 0.40. The study follows the relation between the structural changes produced when increasing the Sr content and the dielectric properties at low intensity electric fields. It is found that the grain size and tetragonality decreases as the Sr content increases. Analyses of complex permittivity and impedance spectroscopy reveal the temperature and frequency dependencies of the dielectric properties. The phase transitions seem to be of first order for all compositions, with a thermal hysteresis that decreases with increasing the Sr content, fact attributed to the corresponding increase of the grain boundaries weight allowing a more efficient stress relaxation in the structure during the change of the symmetry from cubic to tetragonal. The diffusiveness degree during the phase transition is increasing with Sr content, suggesting some relaxor-type contribution attributed to smaller grain size. The ac conductivity follows the universal Jonscher law, with an ac component having the power parameter s independent of Sr content, and a dc component that it is thermally activated with an activation energy of about 0.7-0.77 eV attributed to oxygen vacancies acting as donor-like defects. The fit of impedance spectra at different temperatures and frequencies is obtained by using an equivalent circuit accounting the grains, grain boundaries, electrode interfaces and the local contributions produced by reorientation of defect dipoles or defect clusters. All the component circuits have significant variations around phase transitions. These are discussed in relation to structural changes occurring during transition and considering the changes in the distribution of various charges when polarization vanishes.
4. V.-A. Surdu, R. D. Truşcă, B. Ş. Vasile, O. C. Oprea, E. Tanasă, L. Diamandescu, E. Andronescu, A. C. Ianculescu, Bi1-xEuxFeO3 powders: synthesis, characterization, magnetic and photo-luminescence properties – submitted to Nanomaterials; MDPI; ISSN: 2079-4991; F.I. = 4.034; zona roşie (Q1)
Europium substituted bismuth ferrite powders were synthesized by the sol-gel technique. The precursor xerogel was characterized by thermal analysis. Bi1-xEuxFeO3 (x = 0 0.20) powders obtained after thermal treatment of the xerogel at 600°C for 30 minutes were investigated by X-ray diffraction (XRD), Scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM), Transmission electron microscopy (TEM), Raman spectroscopy and Mössbauer spectroscopy. Magnetic behavior at room temperature was tested using Vibrating Sample Magnetometry. The comparative results showed that europium has a beneficial effect on the stabilization of the perovskite structure and induced a weak ferromagnetism. Photoluminescence spectroscopy showed the enhancement of the characteristic emission peaks intensity with the increase of Eu3+ concentration.
IV. Patent applications
1. Adelina-Carmen Ianculescu, Cătălina-Andreea Stanciu, Bogdan Ştefan Vasile, Roxana Truşcă, Adrian Ionuţ Nicoară, Mihai Alexandru Eftimie, Vasile-Adrian Surdu, “Preparation by a combined procedure involving negative template and sol-gel chemistry of some 1D cerium doped BaTiO3 nanostructures with ferroelectric and piezoelectric characteristiscs” (“Procedeu de obținere a unor nanostructuri unidimensionale de BaTiO3 dopat cu ceriu cu caracteristici feroelectrice şi piezoelectrice”), Patent application OSIM no. A/00328 / 03 June 2019.
V. PhD thesis ended in 2019 with the financial support of this project
1. Vasile-Adrian Surdu, BiFeO3-based multiferroic materials (Materiale multiferoice pe bază de BiFeO3), Universitatea Politehnica din Bucureşti, octombrie 2019.
1. Vasile-Adrian Surdu, ECerS Summer School – High and ultra-high temperature ceramics: reactivity and corrosion (Turin, Italy, 14 – 15 June 2019).